WHAT IT IS:
Micro needling, also known as collagen induction therapy, is a minimally invasive skin rejuvenation procedure. During the procedures, 36 needles pierce the skin (epidermis and dermis) to induce controlled wounding. This stimulates the body’s natural production of collagen and elastin, the two main components that keeps your skin tight and youthful appearing.
Wound repair process:
- Inflammation: the micro punctures created in the skin trigger the repair process. Blood flow is increased to the area.
- Proliferation: the micro punctures are re-built with new granulation tissue. A type of collagen and elastin is established in the wound matrix.
- Remodeling: the temporary granulation tissue is replaced with new and stronger dermal tissue, leading to the skin tightening up.
Micro needling is effective for:
- Decreasing fine lines and deeper wrinkles
- Evening skin tones
- Lightening hyper-pigmentation and sun spots
- Firming and smoothing skin texture
- Enhancing the glow of the skin
- Decreasing skin pore size
- Reduce acne scars
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Your face will be cleansed with a gentle cleanser and a numbing cream will be applied to your face. The micro needle pen will glide over your facial skin, creating tiny piercings. This usually takes about 30 minutes. There will be minimal bleeding. Afterwards, your skin will look red, similar to a light sunburn. The redness is most intense for the first 24 to 48 hours, then returns to a normal appearance within a week. There will also be some drying and peeling skin within the first week.
Natural collagen growth happens over weeks to months, so the results will not be instant. There is also a cumulative benefit in having several treatments in a row. Typically, people will have 3 to 6 treatments spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart.
AFTER YOUR TREATMENT:
Since your skin has micro punctures after the treatment, you will not be able to return to your usual skin care routine right away. We will provide you with a post treatment kit that contains the skin care items you need to use for the following week. You may return to your usual skin care routine as soon as day three after your treatment. Avoid strenuous exercise or sweating for 24 hours after the procedure. Avoid sun exposure for three days. If your skin is peeling, do not pick at it, but instead keep it moisturized. Cool ice packs can help with any discomfort you have. Lastly, eating fresh pineapple has shown to heighten the healing process as well as help with skin discomfort.